Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Manner Primer


Just yesterday I was in a high end grocery store buying food for dinner with my husband after running a quick fabric store related errand. My temper was not at its best because my blood sugar was running low (I’m not diabetic, I have anxiety). I was trying my best to stay pleasant since I knew my bad mood had nothing to do with anyone but myself. As we got to the line my husband bought to bulk of our groceries and when the checkout guy asked if we wanted paper or plastic, I said neither and took out my reusable bag. He exchanged words with my husband and ended the transaction. I wanted to buy my macarons and cheddar popcorn separately because it was my treat and I didn’t want hubby to have to buy it. Rather than say hello or talk to me in any way, he looks over my head and begins talking with the man behind me about beer and other such things. I was a little bothered by it, but rather than get up in arms about this show of bad manners I kept it to myself and continued. After he rang up my stuff, rather than ask if I’d like my items with my husband’s items, he put them in a new plastic bag. I asked, “Can you put them in with our other stuff?” He said, “There isn’t enough room!” I was shocked! I paid and rather than saying thank you or anything, any words at all, he threw my bag to the end of the lane and shoved my receipt to me. I was appalled. Rather than cause a scene, I took my items, saved me receipt and left. I vented to my husband on the ride home and decided I’d call to complain. This morning I called his manager and did just that. Treating someone that way, especially while on the job and ESPECIALLY when the customer didn’t do anything to you is unacceptable. This is a preface to the following article.

Manners are not a thing that are required to get through life. You could spend your time being the meanest, angriest person., but why? It’s so much easier to just be kind to people. One of the tenets of Luxette is to have proper manners for each situation.

1.) If you expect your children to respect adults, they also deserve respect.

So often do I see children disrespected in public. Would you want to be treated this way by a peer? While you are the adult and the parent, that doesn’t mean you can’t treat your and other’s children like people. People who are taught manners throughout their childhood are more likely to use them in their adult life.

2.) If someone is coming, hold the door for them.


Especially the elderly. It will take you seconds of your day to hold the door open for someone and it might just make theirs.

3.) Say excuse me when you’re walking by someone.

It takes less effort to excuse yourself then it does to crab-walk by or shove someone. My parents taught me to say “excuse me” without fail. It astounds me how many people do not say it in my experiences. Oddly, the people with the best manners in this department tend to be subculture young adults.

4.) Say thank you when anyone does anything for you.

Even if the gift you receive isn’t something you needed or wanted, say thank you first. I can’t count how many times I’ve given a gift and had someone say something like, “Oh, this won’t work,” and then leave it at that instead of, “Thank you! I hope this one works!” If it doesn’t, it’s okay to tell the giver how thoughtful it was but that it just won’t work and is there a place you can exchange it. It amazes me how ungrateful and entitled people can be .

5.) There is a time and a place for swearing.

Now, I swear like a m-----f------ sailor, but I know there is a time and a place for it, g--d-----. Your best bet is to have filters and know the time and place to use them. I rarely if ever swear in front of my parents. I never ever swear in front of kids (it is not my nor your place to teach someone’s children those words). I don’t swear in front of the elderly unless they start it. Ha! And as far as other filters, I have work filter, mixed company filter, family filter, and fun/friend filter.

6.) Please, watch your tone and volume.

Some things, especially sarcasm, can be viewed as rude in the company of strangers. If you’re in a bad mood, don’t take it out on strangers because you may never see them again. You may not care what happens to the person after you leave them, but you should. Your words, cruelties, gestures could affect a person in ways you could only imagine. I mean look at me, I’m writing a blog on how to be a decent person because someone treated me badly. If you treat someone the way you’d want to be treated when you’re having the worst day ever, then you’re doing it right.

7.) Gentlemen, please take off your hat inside, especially at dinner, weddings and funerals.

Just do it. I could go into the long winded history of why this is, but I won’t.

8.) Tip

The person serving you did hard work for very little pay. If they did a good job, tip them. If they were rude, talk to their manager.

9.) It goes without saying, but old standbys will be welcome. Please, thank you, and pardon/excuse me.

Enough said.

With these simple rules, people will love to be around you, a kind and well-mannered person.

Until next time, stay beautiful, stay handsome, stay Luxette!

<3Samantha


Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment